Monday, July 27, 2015

July 26, Sunday around 1:30pm: Maison Blue Lin

There was a light rain still falling as I left for the day. I started the climb up Rue du Petit Fort, and decided to stop in the tea shop whose windows and door I'd looked into so often.

What a delightful time I had! The owner of the shop, Madame Claude Le Guen, is so very welcoming, and the little tea room with carefully selected antiques for sale is charming.

I ordered the cream tea with raisin scone, raspberry confiture and Earl Grey tea. It comes with the real clotted cream imported from Cornwall, England. She says she is one of only two tea rooms in Bretagne that sells it. She can only have access to buying it in bulk. Arriving frozen, she "must have freezers."  Madame said it thaws out perfectly, and I can attest to the truth of her statement.

Several people stopped in to look, and I had the pleasure of listening and watching her at work. Then when we were alone, I had the greater pleasure of really talking with her. Turns out we are both married to British engineers.

She was funny, talking about people that come in and how strange they can be. For instance, a French man poked his head in the door and asked if she was English. "No, French," she replied, and so he left. "As if a French person couldn't sell a cream tea!"

No comments: