Wednesday, January 28, 2009

2008 OPAS Zanesville Juried Exhition

Ohio Plein Air Society had back-to-back exhibitions at the end of last year. The exhibition at the Schumahcer Gallery I just wrote about. And then there was the exhibition at the Zanesville Art Center. I entered two paintings and received two awards. Both paintings are 8 x 10's and completed on the same day. I received an Honorable Mention for a painting entitled "Carter and the Grant Wood Mural" It is a quirky kind of painting of a 15 year old fiddle player sitting on a street corner at the monthly gallery hop in Columbus, OH. Across the street from him is a huge mural of Grand Wood's "American Gothic". I will post a photo of it when I locate it.

A better painting is this one which took second place entitled "Granville on a Saturday". It's been written that Granville is one of the prettiest towns in Ohio. It's 8 miles from where I live, and this was the first time I'd painted there. It's home to Denison University where I studied printmaking with Debra Fisher and Ron Abram for a few years in the mid-90's.
The painting was completed on Main Street in October 2008, on a gorgeous October day. It was around 2:00 PM when I started to paint. I knew it was time to quit when my husband Martin delivered a rum raisin ice cream cone to the easel.

No comments: