Friday, May 16, 2014

Sharon Weiss Gallery Award and Video

SOLD • Paris Pochades #7: "Apartment Still Life"
11-1/2" x 7-1/2" Oil on Arches Paper for Oils
Copyright 2013 Debra Joyce Dawson
I've been exhibiting with The Sharon Weiss Gallery for a long time now, how long, so long that I've forgotten. She had seen my work and said she'd like to have some of my paintings in her gallery when she was still at her original location on Poplar Street in the Short North of Columbus. I didn't have the courage to do it.

When I become friends with Richard Canfield, the founding father of Ohio Plein Air Society, he encouraged me to take her some works. I took her two still life paintings. In those days, I was painting intimate, realistic small still lives. I had been studying at CCAD, and while under their tutelage, my works became tighter and more realistic. I sold both paintings in the gallery quickly.

One of the best things about Sharon's gallery is that she doesn't tell her artists what to paint, or how to paint it. She gives us artists the freedom to change, and grow. I can't thank her enough for being there, and want to congratulate her for being recognized by the community for the wonderful gallery she has created, nurtured and kept alive during recent difficult financial times.

Below is a video about Sharon and her gallery. On the walls is my 7th Solo Exhibition. You will enjoy hearing what people have to say about Sharon and her gallery.

2 comments:

Nancy Hawkins said...

Lovely painting Debra!

Sri Debi said...

Thank you, Nancy. It's one that I could have kept for myself!