Wednesday, June 05, 2013

La Rochelle

I went on our bus to La Rochelle today with about 10 of our group. I wanted to see this town when I was here in 2006, and did as we whizzed by in the car.

Last night I decided that today I'd try some reed pen and ink on the Arches oil paper. I had started making some drawings in my Moleskin sketchbook a few days ago. I love the look of these materials. The ink is Bistre, permanent, by Sennelier in Paris.

I like the color. I also like the washes with my Chinese brush. It worked pretty well on the paper for oils. The paper's got a surface, it's learning the ink to water ratio, but I'm really glad I am doing this. Washes in the Moleskin can be iffy, but you just gotta let it have it's character.

I'm off to make a few more drawings now that I'm back on the island.

No comments: