Sunday, June 02, 2013

My materials

Tout simplement.

I am trusting that Arches knows what they are doing with paper for oils.

I have found that this paper sucks the oil out of the paint, forcing me to use more paint in order to spread it onto the surface.

I have to admit that this paper was a last minute, untried decision on my part. In France, it was now 'trial by fire', and I have tried different things to make friends with this surface.

First, I tried Liquin, which I purchased my second day in Paris, and a few brushes. In hopes of not using solvent, I brought walnut oil to clean my brushes. It didn't work for me at all. Pas de tout!

I gave up the Liquin. In a short time, I also gave up the oil and brushes.

I decided the palette knife would be my saviour. It was a struggle, this surface, but I knew in time, I'd make friends with it.

No comments: