Sunday, June 14, 2015

Residency #1: June 12, gifts

We received a packet of info at orientation. There was also the gift of CD'S of bird voices and field guides to butterflies, damsels, moths, birds, turtles and other reptiles, amphibians, and plants, and such. I finally opened them to identify a few butterflies.

At around 1:30pm, I went back out to paint and on my way back in on the Cedar Run Trail, I stopped to watch this damsel - I think - got to check him against the book! He was a great model changing poses several times for me. The wings look black at a certain angle, but at other angles you seem to be looking through a brown veil!

I was the solitary human for about 4 hours, surrounded by huge slump rocks, the creek bed, horsetail, damsels, frogs, and hundreds of unseen creatures and plant life. At one point, a racoon passed by me to hide away in a large cavity at the base of a huge slump rock. There I was, just painting and observing what happens in the forest when one is quiet.

No comments: