Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Residency #1: June 14, afternoon

This afternoon, I agreed to work with a group of day camp children for a few hours. First the 3 - 7 year olds. They all wanted to paint! No lesson needed except trying to explain to wash the brush between colors. When you're three, it doesn't always stick in you head, so at intervals I'd tidy up the palette a bit, and help mix colors.

The 8-12 year olds were more image oriented, had great brushwork as well. I helped mix more sophisticated colors, and started them off at their request, with two rough drawings of chickens = 2 triangles.

After all said and done, they had a great time painting two 16x20" paintings in acrylic. I received many handmade thank you's from the little kids, a popsicle from the camp guy, and many thanks from the organizers. Plus, a good feeling in my heart.

P.S.
I felt compelled to ask one parent to back away from the easel and allow the "artist" to paint without being told what to put down, or how to mix. One girl said, "My Mother doesn't let me paint at home." I said, "Really!? My parents always let me paint at home. Sometimes parents can be pesky." I just looked up the definition of pesky, a word I don't remember using for a very long time. Oh my!

1 comment:

AngelaFinney said...

Wow, Good for you and Good for them!