Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Ireland: Skellig Road closed

Today's ultimate destination was Portmagee, a small fishing village. We chose this location as the boat to Skellig Michael leaves from Valencia Island, just across a small bridge from the harbor.

But, the road was closed, and we had to detour on third class roads up and over a mountain, the scenic route, an old Irish guy told us. He was right. He said the way was steep but we had power. The countryside was lovely, and the road started to climb steeply, with the turns quite sharp, and Martin taking them too fast in my opinion. On one hairpin turn he cut the turn so close that he was on the wrong side of the road. I said, "How do you know that cars aren't just around the bend?" He responded calmly, "I don't, I just keep my fingers crossed."

No comments: