Monday, July 27, 2015

July 26, Sunday: Rain

Today it's raining pretty hard, so I think I'll start to consider my packing a bit. If the rain stays all day, I will walk up top, have a grand créme and do some drawing. I found the largest grand créme in town the other day. Wow!

For my presentation, I set up a little table of snacks for my visitors. I had purchased this towel with sardines two weeks ago while searching for a sticker for my easel. The man wrapped it as a gift in a nice rose, orange and green plaid patterned bag, sealed with his shop's sticker. How delightful it was to see the towel again!

Without making a connection, the day I returned the car, I stopped to buy five chocolate and praline 'sardines'. I put them out together and had to take a photo. The start of a great still life, or "nature morte" as the French call it.

I wanted those sardines two years ago when I saw them in St-Jean-de-Luz. They were only sold in boxes of twenty! Too much to carry. These cost me 1€ a piece.

I have heard more than a few American accents in the past few days. Jarring! Made me think how shocked Ray and I were in South India when we saw a blonde, white woman walking down the street in a red sari. We couldn't see our whiteness. But hers glared out at us.

As I walked home from using the wifi across the river, I was greeted by the sight of a waxing half moon exposing the clouds contre jour. So beautiful. It's the third time I've seen the moon here and each time I am in awe of it.

No comments: